In season: blueberries
14 • SATURDAY, JULY 17, 2021 • HOUSE TO HOME
A SLICE OF
RECIPE COURTESY OF METRO CREATIVE
Nancy Caliguri &Wade Schantz
APOLLO • KISKI TWP.
104 SPRING DR. • $295,000 • MLS # 1498252
Rambling ranch with
4 BR’s, 3 baths, 2 car
int gar + carport, LR,
DR, kitchen with lots
of cabinets, sunporch,
on level 1 acre.
APOLLO • WASHINGTON TWP.
256 RESERVOIR RD. • $195,000
OPEN HOUSE SATURDAY, JULY 17TH 12:00-2:00
& OPEN HOUSE SUNDAY, JULY 18TH 11:00-1:00
Move in ready 3 BR
1.5 story with 2.5
baths, 2 car Det Gar,
open concept LR,
Kitchen, DR, main
level MBR suite,
Visit us after Fleatique Sunday, July 18th
Shop opens at 8am
COMING SOON: AUGUST ANNIVERSARY SALE
311 E. Sixth Ave., Tarentum • 724-224-4687
Tuesday - Sunday 10am - 5pm
PERSONAL ATTENTION TO YOUR INSURANCE
AUTO • HOME • LIFE • BUSINESS
Simple. Fast. Affordable.
2520-A Leechburg Rd.
Lower Burrell, PA
Pie is delicious any time of
year, but it’s especially delicious
when seasonal fruits
are included in the recipe.
When the weather warms up,
are in season, making this
an ideal time to enjoy some
According to Peggy
Brusseau, author of “The
Contented Vegan” (Head
of Zeus), fresh blueberries
help to make a memorable
pie, especially when paired
with apples, which brings
sweetness and a contrast in
Home chefs can use Brusseau’s
recipe for “Blueberry
Apple Pie” to create their
own delicious dessert. This
recipe is designed for those
who adhere to a vegan diet,
but bakers can substitute a
traditional pie crust if desired.
BLUEBERRY APPLE PIE
Yields: 1 large pie
1 quantity Vegan Shortcrust Pastry (see below)
2 medium apples
2¼ pounds fresh blueberries
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
(Alternative: Use 1 tablespoon oat bran instead of the flour)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 11¼ inch pie dish with half of the pastry, and prepare
the top crust.
2. Peel, core and slice the apples. Spread the apple slices over the bottom of the pastry
base. Tip the blueberries into the pie dish, and spread evenly to cover the apples.
3. Mix together the sugar and flour in a small bowl, and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the
4. Position the prepared top crust over the pie, seal together the edges of the pastry and
pierce the top crust with a fork or knife.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp.
5. Cool and serve.
VEGAN SHORTCRUST PASTRY
Makes top and bottom pie crust
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
2¾ ounces coconut oil
1⁄3 cup fine cornmeal
1. Measure the flour into a large bowl.
2. Add the coconut oil and ‘cut’ it into the flour, using a fork or table knife, to create an even
3. Add the cornmeal, working it in the same way to create an even texture.
4. Add ½ cup ice-cold water, and quickly work it into the dough with your fingertips. Shape
the dough into a ball, cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, and up to
5. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes before use and bring to room
temperature. Lightly flour your work surface and a rolling pin. Keep a little extra flour to one
side, to use as needed.
6. Divide the dough in two, and knead one portion on the work surface to ensure an even
consistency. Roll out the pastry into a round or rectangle, as required, to a thickness of ¼
7. Lift the pastry into the pie dish and press into place, trimming off any excess. Roll the
remaining pastry in the same way, to make the top crust, or to line a second pie dish.
Looking for an ecommerce solution for your business?
SELL your products online NOW on EverybodyShops.com.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-551-8860 everybodyshops